Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekly Reflection #5 EDTL230.2008.M008

This week we took a look at digital technology, which I think is fascinating. I particularly enjoyed using the Palm Pilots, mostly because I love to use them but I can’t justify buying one. The group presenting gave a layout of the basics of digital cameras, scanners, clickers, digital camcorders, and palm pilots. The information was mostly old news for me, but I’m beginning to realize that I have been incredibly privileged in terms of how much technology I’ve been exposed to. However, I did begin to wonder how effective it would be to do some extension projects with my future students using some of this technology. I decided that it could be an incredibly effective tool for engaging students in some deeper thinking about the concepts and theorems they use everyday. I can imagine many extension lessons, involving physics, where these digital technologies would be incredibly appropriate. I think that it helps students to give them a balance of activities and lessons; it helps prevent stagnancy in the classroom. I think of especially doing an activity where students use digital cameras to find structures around town that resemble certain functions (ex. an archway resembles f(x)=x2). I could even expand it to include equations for circles, squares, etc; I think I would possibly use it as an introductory activity (possibly for extra credit only). Anyway, I suppose I’m hesitant to use too much technology in my classroom. In fact, I’m pretty sure that I’ll use less technology than other teachers because of my specialization area. I feel like math is a subject that has some truly wonderful opportunities for technological enhancement. However, I also feel that it’s crucial that teachers do not diminish the importance of basic tools (such as book problems, board work, etc.) in the face of these technological enrichments. The technology has the power to engage and entertain students because it’s outside the normal classroom routine, however, it’s still the teacher’s job to direct and facilitate the learning. And that’s just another reason why technology is a complement to teachers, not a replacement for them.

No comments: